Season 1 is the first season of the Zombie Land Saga anime that has a total of twelve episodes and an additional extra dubbed as “Episode 12.5”. It aired from October 04, 2018 to December 20, 2018. It is later succeeded by Season 2, which premiered on April 8, 2021.
In 2008, Sakura reached the second year of high school, To go find Tokyo audition to become Idol, as soon as she leaves home trying to go to school and audition, she gets hit by a van resulting in her death.
Ten years later, Sakura wakes up with memory loss, in a certain western-style house, and is suddenly attacked by zombie girls and escapes outside, but finds that she also turned into a zombie. A young man, Kotaro Tatsumi, tells them that they was revived as zombies for the local idol project "Zombie Land Saga Project" that raises awareness for the Saga Prefecture. Kotaro formed the idol group "Franchouchou" with seven members: Sakura Minamoto, Saki Nikaido, Ai Mizuno, Junko Konno, Yugiri, Lily Hoshikawa and Tae Yamada.
- Episode 1: Sakura’s on her way to an idol audition and nothing was going to stop her!
- Episode 2: Sakura and Saki get into a rap battle while simultaneously hiding their undead identities from the elderly.
- Episode 3: The girls think of a group name and partake in their first guerrilla show by the train station.
- Episode 4: The girls have been cooped up in the mansion for a month so Kotaro decides to take them to the local hot springs.
- Episode 5: Kotaro makes the girls star in a commercial for Drive-In Tori and gets them to partake in the Gatalympics.
- Episode 6: Ai and Junko get into an argument on what their relationship with their fans is supposed to be.
- Episode 7: Kotaro pep talks Junko into singing with the girls again.
- Episode 8: A shady looking man is keeping his eye out for Zombie #6.
- Episode 9: Saki teaches her old biker gang, alongside the rival biker gang, that throwing your life away over something trivial is stupid.
- Episode 10: The girls go mountain climbing and Sakura gets a sense of deja vu.
- Episode 11: The girls and Kotaro try to cheer Sakura up.
- Episode 12: The girls say Good Morning to Saga once again.
|Ep. #||Image||Title||Synopsis||Premiere Date|
|1||"Good Morning SAGA/グッドモーニング SAGA"
||A walking corpse wakes up sinisterly in a strange western-style mansion. Knowing nothing, neither her identity, nor where she ended, she can do nothing but wander aimlessly. Eventually, a horrifying reality is unveiled before the undead eyes of the zombie, as its fate is shown. Wearing a liar mask, she can do nothing but walk in the dark. Then, as the zombie bathes in the light of the sky, she hears the noise of other people. A scream resounds in the middle of a great chaos. That is a cry for destruction.||October 04, 2018|
|2||"I ♡ Hip Hop SAGA/I♡HIPHOP SAGA"
||With the zombie gang finally aware, Sakura seems to be finally calm. At last, they can start working as an idol group! First of all, they must ensure that no one discovers that they are zombies, causing massive terror. The group is also trying to change its name to "Death Musume (Temporal)", although it seems that everyone is leaning towards that title, and nobody can think of anything else. Then the idols prepare for a proper debut. There has to be an event that's great for them!||October 11, 2018|
|3||"DEAD OR LIVE SAGA/ DEAD OR LIVE SAGA"
||The event at the Saga Castle, as they thought, would generate a lot of anticipation. Sakura and Saki couldn't contain their excitement, the brave Yūgiri and Lily worked on the construction of the advertisement, and Tae was doing their thing. Even though they don't act like idols, they really tried to feel like real idols. But with Ai and Junko's experience in the mix, everything should be fine. One for zombie, everything for zombie!||October 18, 2018|
|4||"Warming Dead SAGA/ウォーミング・デッド SAGA"||They ended up naming their group "Franchouchou" without my permission. The role of the group leader is now on Saki's shoulders. It seemed like a good idea that I deliberately made myself known as the producer. Speaking of which, it's not a bad idea that they ended up operating more independently. Now these talkative zombie idols who are a little motivated to make money can start earning a living. We will go to the hot springs to reach a commercial agreement. Hopefully, the secret that these girls are just makeup zombies won't be unraveled, or it will all end.||October 25, 2018|
|5||"The Nice Bird SAGA In Your Heart/君の心にナイスバード SAGA"
||They go beyond my imagination. The opportunity for the link with the pharmaceutical company was completely eliminated. However, there is this producer Kotaro Tatsumi, this time I got the comercial appearance right of a super famous company that everyone knows. "Franchouchou" will make its fame roar throughout Saga. The phoenix covered in mud flaps into the sky.||November 01, 2018|
|6||"Because It's Sentimental SAGA/だってセンチメンタル SAGA"
||Fans came to Franchouchou, this is also a skill of producer Kotaro Tatsumi. Let's have an interaction with a fan here, even if that heart hurts. Even if you make full use of digital, you shouldn't forget the strength of analog connections. If you really have fans in front of you, your teamwork will get stronger. Perfection... It's time for the shower.||November 08, 2018|
|7||"But It's Zombiemental SAGA/けれどゾンビメンタル SAGA"
||The appearance in an outdoor musical event "Saga Rock" has been decided. But as always, Junko looks like a slug. It is not because the sunglasses cover me. The members seem restless, the pressure on Ai is getting stronger ... Rock Saga Is the weather forecast for storms this day? The clouds have literally become suspicious. First of all, I don't want to get wet, so I'm going to bed today ~||November 15, 2018|
|8||"Go Go Neverland SAGA/GoGoネバーランド SAGA"
||Saga rock was a success. There is no rain to stop us. There is no zombie that does not revive. The name "Franchouchou" is gradually being recognized. However, if you become famous, there is a greater chance of being noticed by strangers. I wonder if that guy would be the trigger and zombies learn serious facts after meeting that man. Zombies, sing for tomorrow no matter what!||November 22, 2018|
|9||"Though My Life May Have Ended Once By Some Twist of Fate I Have Risen, and If Song and Dance Are to Be My Fate, Then Carrying the Memories of My Comrades In My Heart As I Sally Forth Shall Be My SAGA/一度は尽きたこの命なんの因果か蘇り歌い踊るが運命なら親友への想いを胸に秘め貫くまでよ己の SAGA"
||Although sudden, it is a declining birth rate and an aging society. From now on, we must make the older people in the saga become fans of Franchouchou. Grandpa, Grandma is coming to watch the idol event. Don't you find it wonderful? Greetings at the event too, or ... the "Franchouchou" clarity will continue at any time by doing idle activities at full speed! Young and old! "No, more clearly."||November 29, 2018|
|10||"No Zombie, No Idol SAGA/NO ZOMBIE NO IDOL SAGA"
||It seems that not only older people but also naughty fans have increased. Thanks to the talented producer, zombies are becoming professionals. I decided to let these zombies take a new step. This is a huge mountain that you must climb. And there is only one thing to do to get to the top||December 06, 2018|
|11||"A One-of-a-Kind SAGA/世界にひとつだけの SAGA"
||Sakura had an accident. The memories of her life seem to be back. Her original personality keeps her in bad shape. (Omitted) The Other zombies seem to try to return Sakura to the original but... (Omitted) At the moment, I want to sleep today. Postscript: I can't sleep. Did I drink too much coffee?||December 13, 2018|
|12||"Good Morning Again SAGA/グッドモーニング アゲイン SAGA"
||Memories of Sakura still don't come back. It is just a matter of "possess" or "have". However, it is not Kotaro Tatsumi who surrenders here. Believe in yourself. I'll make Franchouchou sing on the Arpino stage. That is the true beginning of the project. It is the beginning of the "Zombie Land Saga Project".||December 20, 2018|
- Apart from their causes and exact dates of death, Yugiri and Tae’s locations of death are also the only ones not disclosed during this season.
- Meanwhile, both Sakura and Lily are shown to have died within their own house’s general radius.
- There were supposed to be episodes briefly focusing on Yugiri and Tae’s pasts respectively but since they would not fit with the first season’s story, they decided against it.
- If we take the chronological order of the songs on ZLS it tells us how the girls were revived.
- Sensei Alive: Kotaro and his feelings for Sakura, song from the first PV of the series and the first to be recorded and possibly used before awakening.
- Yomigaere: literally revive, the song and its lyrics prove it, it was actually going to be sung in episode 2.
- Mezame returner: Wake up and follow your dreams after death, in episode 3.
|Original Author||Public Relations and Hearings Division Zombie Section|
|Director/Sound Director||Sakai Munehisa|
|Composition of the series||Murakoshi Shigeru|
|Character Design||Kasumi Fukagawa|
|Props Design||Mariko Kawamoto
Masayo Matsumoto (From Episode 4) Nao Otsu (Episode 5)
|Art Director||Kazuo Ogura|
|Art Environment||Nobuto Sue, Shiori Shiwa|
|Color Design||Azusa Sasaki|
|Director of Photography||Takashi Yanagida|
|CG Director||Kouhei Iwasaki|
|Music||Koji Takanashi, Funta7|
|Musical Production||Avex Pictures|
|Head of Producers||Asaichi Iizumi, Nobuhiro Takenaka
Manami Kabashima, Makoto Kimura
|Producers||Takashi Murakami, Shinya
Ikatakata, Makoto Moriwaki (until episode 2) Toru Kubo (from episode 3), AyaIizuka Manabu Otsuka (animation)
|Production||Zombie Land Saga Production Committee|