“I found that getting confused doesn’t help much, I’ll just relax and take things as they come.”
— Yugiri to Lily, about the modern times, “Episode 6”
|The erotic zombie with bewitching make-up, with her long haired tied to a knot.
The legendary courtesan who was there during the Meiji's restoration from Bakumatsu era. Thanks to her open-mindedness and calm demeanor, she is neither swayed by the fact she was resurrected in a world 150 years later, her surroundings nor herself being a zombie.
Yugiri (ゆうぎり Yūgiri) was a high-ranking courtesan from the Meiji era. After being resurrected from the dead, she becomes a member of the zombie idol group, Franchouchou.
She is titled as The Legendary Courtesan (伝説の花魁 Densetsu no Oiran).
Yugiri has light brown hair, and most of it is worn in a bow shape on her head and two long locks hanging over her shoulders. Her bangs are mostly centered with a curved bit to the right. Yugiri also has light rusty eyes. Despite her age, Yugiri sports a very voluptuous figure that beats even those of Sakura and Tae and is only being beaten by Maimai.
Usually, Yugiri wears an outfit similar to a kimono, with a white and orange plaid pattern top, a purple collar, and a forest green skirt. She also sports dark purple leggings and dark gray boots.
Her casual clothes consist of a kimono, hakama, stockings, and boots, in the manner of a late 1800s student, but with the hakama cut above the knee like a makeshift skirt to show more of her legs.
Like the other zombies, she has blue-gray skin and red eyes; she has a scar around her neck. Her everyday clothing looks disorganized and lifeless.
Her idol outfit changes throughout the series: On episodes 1-6, Yugiri wears a pink T-shirt with the word "five" written on it and a red skirt with white ruffles. Using makeup, she and the other zombies make their skin look like an average human. Yugiri also wears contact lenses to achieve her red eyes that she had as a living person.
After Saga Rock, her idol outfit changed to a red jacket with a plaid decoration, a red skirt with cotton inside it, and knee-high boots.
Yugiri remains very calm and traditional in various situations, probably due to the period in which she lived and where she worked. Despite this, she seems to calmly accept and adapt to the changes in modern Japanese society.
Every time she sees someone depressed, she physically hits people to get them out of their mood. The problem is that most of the time, they have already recovered when Yugiri slaps them and tells them exactly what they were trying to say. The only time she slaps someone in the middle of funk is in Episode 12 when Sakura Minamoto is adamant about giving up.
Although she is not immune from freaking out around others, she is generally able to remain calm and composed in most of her outlandish situations, which is even more impressive because she is the oldest of the group. During the second season of the series, it is briefly implied that when Yugiri is nervous or scared, she uses the comb that Kiichi Momozaki gave her while alive. This is demonstrated in the second episode when she wakes up, the seventh episode in Saga Rock, and her flashbacks episodes.
In reality, she has never been seen to have any questions or ask another of the girls about something since it seems that she can learn very quickly or is simply one of the people who have no doubts when doing something. Despite this characteristic, she still looks collaborative with the group doing everything that is said without asking.
Share a role similar to Sakura. Sometimes she acts motherly to the other girls, showing concern and acting most maturely. This makes sense given that she is the oldest at the time of death, in addition to Tae Yamada and Junko Konno (who are the same age, only two months older).
The design sheets mentioned that her personality is quite strong when the case is required, and she can take the lead when necessary. She is the most mentally mature of the girls taking the time to analyze the situations, so she is also quite intelligent, so she noticed that Kotaro Tatsumi is particularly fond of Sakura in episode 10 of the series.
- Athleticism - As shown in the fifth episode, Yugiri displays a fantastic display of acrobatic skills during the Tarzan Swing round of the Gatalympics. This is because her profession was to entertain through performances.
- Courtesan (Oiran) - As her title suggests, Yugiri was a courtesan in the Meiji Era while alive, specifically an Oiran, a type of Yūjo (prostitute) who are more so entertainers than physical pleasures. It is possible that since Yugiri is an Oiran, Kotaro Tatsumi resurrected her in the first place as she had experience and skills as an entertainer before. However, it seems mostly to be the influence of the bartender.
- Musical Talent - As a former entertainer and currently a member of Franchouchou, Yugiri's skills on being musically talented are shown throughout the series.
- Shamisen-playing - As evident in Episode 2, she has incredible skill on the instrument called a shamisen, able to play fast and move her fingers around the instrument's neck with high speed and skill.
- Swordsmanship - As hinted in the third episode, Yugiri seems to have some knowledge on "testing swords out on one another." In "Episode 21" she is shown to have exemplary swordsmanship skills as she was able to dodge Shojiro Ito's attack while also having landed one successful blow, which was enough to extirpate the latter.
- Dancing - Like her musical talent, Yugiri is shown to be adept in dancing as a former entertainer.
- Cooking and Culinary Arts - As shown in "Episode 16", Yugiri can prepare any meal with the ingredients given to her and she decorates Ai Mizuno's lunch using the nori to spell out "Do your best/You'll succeed."
- Hula Hooping - Yugiri and the rest of the girls can perform while twirling hoops made of electricity during their performance in "Episode 16".
- Non-senescence - Due to being a zombie, Yugiri retains her age and physical appearance at the time of her death forever and is immune against death. As she, along with the other girls, can endure circumstances that human bodies normally cannot handle, like the lightning bolt in the seventh episode, and instead of suffering a third-degree burn, the girls end up becoming luminous and self-possessed - tuned voices.
- Detachable Limbs - As a zombie, Yugiri can detach and reattach parts of her body from their sockets with little to no effort, either intentionally or accidentally. However, she is one of the zombies to which no part of its body has fallen for now.
- Phosphorescent Vision - Yugiri's undead blood-red eyes are shown to be able to glow in the dark.
- Element Absorption - Their zombie bodies can speed up the process of absorbing chemicals like those seen in Episode 4, where they instantly absorb the medicinal patches, causing their muscles to relax and not be as stiff. In addition to their subsequent concerts and practices, they continue to use the patches. In Episode 7, their bodies demonstrate a battery-like characteristic by receiving an electrical discharge from lightning, glowing a pale blue, and releasing laser beams with their fingers.
- Superhuman Strength - One of the recurring gags with Yugiri is that she suddenly slaps a person in the middle of a talk; however, her slaps are especially powerful and capable of throwing a person through the air.
- The name Yugiri means "evening mist" (夕霧).
- Yugiri is also the name of a character in The Tale of Genji.
- As revealed by Kotaro Tatsumi in the first episode, specifically the line, "The Legendary Courtesan known only as Yugiri," that "Yugiri" is simply an alias she goes by and is not her actual name.
- Since her design feels like a combination of things that come out of the word "Oiran," it was necessary to consider the times. They wanted to affirm that Yugiri, alone, could be placed in the protagonist's position, an idol with a strong personality.
- Yugiri died one month after her nineteenth birthday.
- Chronologically, Yugiri is the oldest in Franchouchou.
- Yugiri is second to sports the curviest figure in the group. Beating even Sakura Minamoto and Tae Yamada by three sizes, she was only beaten by Maimai Yuzuriha.
- The railway bridge in the Saga Jinen MV was built next to a statue of Jofuku in honor of his arrival in Morodomi town and a cycling route also called Jofuku passes through there. It is speculated that both were related.
- Yugiri uses a dialect used in the pleasure district of Kyoto (Shimabara), and Tokyo (Yoshiwara), expressions such as "arinsu" are part of the latter's Kuruwa-kotoba.
- "Arinsu" is a corruption of "arimasu," which is a formal way of saying "~ da" in Japanese (both in pre-modern and modern times), so it is not a difficult dialect to emulate.
- In "Episode 14", the bar she works at, Chinatsu, is recalled as "Arinsu." Instead of being a bar, it is referred to as a restaurant. It is currently unknown if this is an error or an intentional change.
- It is confirmed in this same episode that Yugiri's place of origin is Kyoto, Japan, in the red light district of Yoshiwara.
- In Yugiri's time, she visited the wolves of Mibu and the Sonno Joi as part of her work.
- However, in the historical background, both groups had opposite ideals and were in an internal war for control of Japan.
- As of "Episode 13", Yugiri works part-time as a bartender at a bar named Chinatsu.
- Interestingly enough, this may be a nod to how she has connections with the bartender.
- On April 23, 2021, the series' Twitter account announced that Yugiri would be a VTuber, having her streams at the Chinatsu bar. The stream can be found here on the Official Cygames YouTube Channel.
- Yugiri has two episodes centered around her so far: "Episode 20" and "Episode 21".
- Yugiri has connections to Saga statesmen, including Soejima Taneomi, Okuma Shigenobu and Oki Takato.
- In 9:50 of Episode 21, Yugiri can be seen sending mails to Soejima Taneomi, Okuma Shigenobu and Oki Takato..
- Episode 23
- Episode 13 of English Dub
|• Kotaro Tatsumi • Sakura Minamoto • Saki Nikaido • Ai Mizuno • Junko Konno • Yugiri • Tae Yamada • Lily Hoshikawa • Officer Suenaga • Romero|
|• Takeo Go • Reiko Amabuki • Arata Ookoba • Inubashiri • Jofuku • Maria Amabuki • Death Metal fans • Shiori Baba • Yui • Misa Higashitsuru • The Mysterious Man • White Ryu • Light Oozora • Maimai Yuzuriha • Shojiro Ito • Kiichi Momozaki|
|• Eikichi Hyodo • Yuko Hyodo • Anna Shuri • Tae Yamada • Hanako Hakase|