“I found that getting confused doesn’t help much, I’ll just relax and take things as they come.”
— Yugiri to Lily, about the modern times, “Episode 6”
|The erotic zombie with bewitching make-up, with her long haired tied to a knot.
The legendary courtesan who was there during the Meiji's restoration from Bakumatsu era. Thanks to her open-mindedness and calm demeanor, she is neither swayed by the fact she was resurrected in a world 150 years later, her surroundings nor herself being a zombie.
Yugiri (ゆうぎり, Yūgiri) was a high-ranking courtesan from the Meiji era. After being resurrected from the dead, she becomes a member of the zombie idol group, Franchouchou. She is titled as The Legendary Courtesan (伝説の花魁, Densetsu no Oiran).
Yugiri remains very calm and traditional in various situations, probably due to the period in which she lived and in which she worked. Despite this, she seems to calmly accept and adapt to the changes in modern Japanese society.
Every time she sees someone depressed, she physically hits people to get them out of their mood. The problem is that most of the time they have already recovered when Yugiri slaps them and tells them exactly what they were trying to say. The only time she slaps someone in the middle of a funk is on Episode 12 when Sakura is adamant about giving up.
Although she is not immune from freaking out around others, she is generally able to remain calm and composed in most of her outlandish situations. It is even more impressive because she is the oldest of the group.
Share a role similar to Sakura. Sometimes she acts motherly to the other girls, showing concern and acting in the most mature way. This makes sense given that she is the oldest at the time of death, in addition to Tae and Junko (who is the same age, only two months older)
In the design sheets it is mentioned that by itself, its personality is quite strong when the case is required and is capable of taking the lead when necessary. She is the most mentally mature of the girls taking the time to analyze the situations so she is also quite intelligent, that is why she discovered that Kotaro had a relationship with Sakura in the past in episode 10 of the series, realizing the deal that he had Sakura, besides being the first to wake up.
Yugiri has light brown hair and most of it is worn in a bow shape on her head and two long locks hanging over her shoulders. Her bangs are mostly centered with a curved bit to the right. Yugiri also has light rusty eyes. Despite her age, Yugiri sports a very voluptuous figure, that overall beats even those of Sakura and Tae.
Normally, Yugiri wears an outfit similar to a kimono; with a white and orange plaid pattern top, a purple collar and a forest green skirt. She also supports dark purple leggings and dark gray boots
Her casual clothes consist of a kimono, hakama, stockings and boots, in the manner of a late 1800s student, but with the hakama cut above the knee like a makeshift skirt, to show more of her legs.
Like the other zombies, blue-gray skin. her normal clothing looks disorganized and colorless, Possible (very likely) cause of death by decapitation, OR she was killed by a samurai, shown by the clean cut of her neck.
Her idol outfit changes throughout the series: On episodes 1-6, Yugiri wears a pink T-shirt with the word "five" written on it, along with an red skirt with white ruffles. Using makeup, she and the other zombies make their skin look like a normal human. Yugiri also wears contact lenses to achieve her red eyes that she had as a living person.
After Saga rock, her idol outfit changed to a red jacket with a plaid decoration, red skirt with cotton inside it and knee-high boots.
- Athleticism - As shown in the fifth episode, she displays an amazing display of acrobatic skills during the Tarzan Swing round of the Gatalympics. This is because her profession was to entertain through performances.
- Courtesan (Oiran) - As her title suggests, Yugiri was a courtesan in the Meiji Era while alive, specifically an Oiran. An Oiran, though a type of Yūjo (prostitute) were more so entertainers than physical pleasures. This is probably why Kōtarō resurrected her in the first place as she had experience and skills as an entertainer before. Although it seems mostly to be the influence of the bartender.
- Shamisen - As evident in episode 2, Yugiri has incredible skill on the instrument called a shamisen, able to play fast and move her fingers around the neck of the instrument with high speed and skill.
- Swordsmanship - As hinted in the third episode, she seems to have some knowledge on “testing swords out on one another”.
- Musical Talent - As an undead pop idol and a former entertainer, she has mastered the art of music.
- Dancing - Similar to her musical talent, she is shown to be adept in dancing as a former entertainer.
- Non-senescence - Due to being a zombie, Yugiri is granted the ability to remain the age at which she died forever without any physical change after the resurrection process, as well as immunity against death. As she, along with the other girls, is able to endure circumstances that human bodies normally cannot handle, like the lightning bolt in the seventh episode, and instead of suffering a third degree burn, the girls end up becoming luminous and self-possessed -tuned voices.
- Detachable Limbs - As a zombie, she also have the ability to detach and reattach parts of her body from their sockets with little to no effort, either intentionally or accidentally. However, it is one of the zombies to which no part of its body has fallen for now.
- Phosphorescent Vision - Her undead blood-red eyes are shown to be able to glow in the dark.
- Element Absorption - Their zombie bodies can speed up the process of absorbing chemicals like those seen in Episode 4 by instantly absorbing the medicinal patches causing their muscles to relax and not be as stiff, in addition to their subsequent concerts and practices continue to use the patches. In Episode 7, their bodies demonstrate a similar capacity to batteries by receiving an electrical discharge from lightning and glow a pale blue, as well as releasing laser beams with their fingers.
- Superhuman Strength - One of the recurring gags with Yugiri is that she has to suddenly slap a person in the middle of a talk, however her slaps are especially powerful and capable of throwing a person through the air.
- The name Yūgiri means "evening mist".
- Yugiri is also the name of a character in The Tale of Genji.
- As revealed by Kotaro in the first episode, specifically the line, “The Legendary Courtesan known only as Yugiri”, that “Yugiri” is simply an alias she goes by and is not her actual name.
- Her design feels like a combination of things that come out of the word "Oiran", it was necessary to consider the times to some extent. They wanted to affirm the fact that Yugiri, alone, could be placed in the position of the protagonist, an idol with a strong personality.
- Yugiri died one month after her nineteenth birthday.
- Chronologically, she is the oldest in Franchouchou.
- However, it is possible that Tae Yamada might be older than her.
- Along with Tae, she is the only other zombie whose cause of death has not been revealed yet.
- The scar around her neck suggests that she was beheaded, which was not uncommon for her time period.
- Yugiri sports the most curvaceous figure in group. Beating even Sakura and Tae by three sizes.
- The Saga Jinen MV, the railway bridge that takes place, was built next to a statue of Jofuku in honor of his arrival in Morodomi town and a cycling route also called Jofuku passes through there, It is speculated that both were related in a loving way.
- She uses a dialect used in the pleasure district of Kyoto (Shimabara) and Tokyo (Yoshiwara), expressions such as "arinsu" are part of the latter's Kuruwa-kotoba.
- "Arinsu" is a corruption of "arimasu", which is a formal way of saying "~ da" in Japanese (premodern and modern), so it is not a difficult "dialect" to emulate.
- In “Episode 14”, the bar she works at, Chinatsu, is recalled as “Arinsu”, and instead of being a bar, it is referred to as a restaurant. It is currently unknown if this is an error or an intentional change.
- It is confirmed in this same episode that Yugiri's place of origin is actually Kyoto Japan in the red light district of Yoshiwara.
- According to her, in her time she visited the wolves of Mibu and the Sonno Joi as part of her work.
- However in the historical background both groups had opposite ideals and were in an internal war for control of Japan.
- As of “Episode 13”, she works part-time as a bartender at a bar name Chinatsu.
- Interestingly enough, this may be a nod to how she has connections with the Bartender.
|•Kotaro Tatsumi • Sakura Minamoto • Saki Nikaido • Ai Mizuno • Junko Konno • Yugiri • Tae Yamada • Lily Hoshikawa • Policeman A • Romero|
|•Takeo Go • Reiko Amabuki • Shinta Okoba • Bartender • Maria Amabuki • Death Metal fans • Shiori • Misa Azumatsuru • The Mysterious Man • White Ryu•|