“After all, you girls are zombies, not robots.”
— Kotaro to Junko, during their one-on-one talk
”But It's Zombiemental SAGA” (けれどゾンビメンタル SAGA Keredo Zonbimentaru SAGA) is the seventh episode of the first season of Zombie Land Saga and is the seventh episode overall.
Synopsis (Kotaro’s Diary)
(Note: This is an unofficial English translation of the synopsis from the website.)
The appearance in an outdoor musical event "Saga Rock" has been decided. But as always, Junko looks like a slug. It is not because the sunglasses cover me. The members seem restless, the pressure on Ai is getting stronger ... Rock Saga Is the weather forecast for storms this day? The clouds have literally become suspicious. First of all, I don't want to get wet, so I'm going to bed today ~
The episode begins with the group discussing Junko's appearance since seeing her two weeks ago. Nevertheless, they have a few ideas. In all, Junko and the group itself would be affected shortly. Sakura goes to Kotaro asking for help, but this is done saying that they solve it themselves.
With Saga Rock around the corner, the group runs out of ideas. But because in the presentation, Junko is essential in the duet with Ai.
Kotaro, fed up with the situation, violently intercedes on the subject. Taking out the door and knocking out Junko in the process, she talks to Kotaro after coming back to herself. He makes her see that the image of Idols 80's no longer applies. But at the same time, it was good that she defended her principles and looked for how she could bring her way of being with her way of being. Also, at this point, Kotaro reveals how Ai died and the effort she is making to carry the situation forward. Before leaving, Kotaro leaves her a small but significant gift.
Being Saga Rock day, the girls cannot continue waiting for Junko and decide to leave. After a few seconds, Junko appears determined to go. Surprisingly, she is run over by Kotaro. She stands up even more determined, saying "I'm ... going ... because ... I'm an idol, I'm the idol Showa ... Junko Konno!". The girls run to hug her and congratulate her.
FranChouChou is waiting for her turn for the show. At the same time, the weather turns against her, a small storm started, anyway, the girls go up on stage with a reduced audience due to the weather. Saki begins the group's presentation followed by the song Atsuku Nare. But at the beginning, Ai begins to hesitate due to her fear of lightning. Junko helps her by getting her to regain her confidence and continue with the show.
At the end of the song, the stage is struck by lightning. The Franchouchou appear to be unharmed. But take on a peculiar bluish glow in addition to a synthesized tone of voice (apparently thanks to the lightning). The performance continues as the audience stares in awe, it concludes with "Electric Returner”. Saga Rock ends with the Franchouchou being acclaimed by the public.
- Kotaro Tatsumi
- Romero (cameo)
- Skull and Bull
- Iron Frill (physical debut)
- Saga Prefecture
- Franchouchou Mansion
- Tosu City
- Franchouchou Mansion
- Junko growing mushrooms on her head highlights how she has been isolating herself for two weeks.
- Because of their non-senescence, the lightning only makes the girls emit a luminous silhouette and alters their voices to make them sound more robotic.
- This episode’s title, “But It’s Zombiemental SAGA”, is a parallel of the previous episode’s title, “Because It’s Sentimental SAGA”.
- Kotaro’s diary entry for the episode is written sometime during the two weeks that Junko has been isolating herself and before their performance for Saga Rock.
- When Iron Frill was singing Jellyfish at Saga Rock, their dancing performance animation mirrors (or a rehash) the dance movement Franchouchou performed in their first season PV singing Sensei! Alive Sensation.
- In the original, Kotaro yells “Kicky Blammo!” just as he kicks the door down and proceeds to tell Junko that “Zombies are supposed to be on the opposite side of the barricade, (dumbass!)” and then lets out a quick squeak after seeing how he has knocked Junko out. Whereas in the English dub, Kotaro yells “Heeeere’s Kotaro!” instead and tells Junko “Barricades are supposed to keep zombies out, you little sad saaaack!” and then lets out a surprised, hight-pitch scream after finding out he has knocked Junko out.
- Kotaro letting out another squeak after accidentally hitting Junko with the van is changed to him eliciting another scream of regret in the dub.
- The girls all collectively gasping as response to Junko flying off from the impact is changed to just one gasp in the dub.
- The Saga Rock event shown in the episode is based on the actual event of the same name that happens annually in Saga, Japan.
- This is the second episode to focus on Ai and Junko.
- This episode also takes place right after the events of the previous episode, which is also centered around Ai and Junko.
- Kotaro reveals that he has always known about the girls “secretly” using his laptop, as mentioned by Ai in the previous episode.
- This is the second time a character is hit by a speeding vehicle.
- This is the first time wherein Sakura is not the one who gets hit by said vehicle.
- Additionally, Sakura comments on how Junko getting run over gives her a sense of deja vu.
- This is the second time Ai performs in Tosu City during heavy rain. This is also the second time that Ai gets struck by lightning, only this time, her groupmates are struck by lightning alongside her.
- This is also possibly the second time Iron Frill performs in Tosu City.
- This is the police officer’s fourth time to not cross paths with Sakura or anyone who is affiliated with Franchouchou.
- This is the third time “Mezame Returner”, or at least a variation of it, is performed by Franchouchou in public.
- This is the first and only time this version of “Mezame Returner” is played.
- This is the third time Okoba takes suspicion in Franchouchou.
- This is Romero's second absence in an episode, excluding the preview and ending of the next episode.
- The entire scene wherein Junko gets hit by Kotaro’s van is a parallel to Sakura’s death in the first episode.