"Don’t even bother asking God for help, he’s already abandoned us a damn long time ago!"
— Kotaro, about the fate of the Saga Prefecture
“The Greatest SAGA in History” (史上最大の SAGA Shijō Saidai no SAGA) is the twelfth and final episode of the second season of Zombie Land Saga and the twenty-fourth episode overall.
Synopsis (Kotaro’s Diary)
"Kotaro Tatsumi will never give up. I will definitely succeed at the "Franchouchou" EFS Concert. I will have them come back on stage. I don't need tears there. There is only one flame of revenge that burns to hell. This is the greatest revenge in Saga's Story This is the beginning of a long battle called "Project Zombie Land Saga".
March 1, 2020
At the Saga Special Task Force Headquarters, authorities discuss the current difficulties Saga is going through after the sudden flood, although part of the infrastructure has been repaired, the difficulty of transportation has made repairs difficult throughout the prefecture. From one moment to another, Kotaro enters the meeting shouting to repair Tosu's area for the future of Saga and so that people can attend Franchouchou's charity concert to face the disaster together, however he is withdrawn from the meeting shortly after. Kotaro receives a call from Arata in Tokyo about getting a helicopter and how it is difficult to get it, although Arata still does not trust Kotaro 100%, he is willing to do it for Franchouchou's group and tells Kotaro that he leaves the rest to God, but in an aggressive way, Kotaro says that he doesn't want anything to do with God and hangs up on the call, something that misses Arata.
Back in Saga, the girls bathe in a barrel at the Kation mall while discussing what their concert will be like in a week, Yugiri and Lily talk about how they have loved ones in the afterlife who take care of them. However Saki remembers that they have to be on the radio and asks the girls the day with Sakura answering that she thinks it is Friday, nervous, Saki says that they work on Fridays and quickly get ready to go on the radio. But when they arrive, the director of the radio tells them that it is actually Sunday, but since the disaster happened they will let them pass because they have only been transmitting news. On the radio Saki lets out her heart to the people of Saga about the benefit concert in Franchouchou and how she wants the entire prefecture to come together to make Saga and the disaster that is happening known.
March 7, 2020
Franchouchou is ready to make their tour throughout the prefecture and arrive at the Ekimae Fudosan stadium, on the other side of Saga. Along the way there are shots showing the disaster that occurred in Saga and the damage to the infrastructure, all while it was still raining lightly.
March 8, 2020
It is the day of the concert and the girls arrive at the Ekimae Fudosan stadium, on the outskirts of the stadium only debris is visible, inside the stadium no one is seen and Kotaro does not appear anywhere, Sakura raises her spirits exclaiming that they will not surrender even if they must face God and Devil, after those blasphemous words appear the first fans of Franchouchou, the metalheads who followed them at each concert, and shortly after a crowd of people arrives at the stadium in the style of Avengers End Game while a helicopter arrives from Fukuoka to report the big event. Franchouchou is a trend in social networks to be promoted and supported by Iron Frill, Light Oozora and the pharmaceutical Hisanaka along with the support of Japanese newspapers, Sakura yells at the top of her lungs:
At night, the group interprets the song that talks about how failures are not the last thing and how you should stand in front of destiny, at the end of the song Tae makes a reference to Freddy Mercury with the whole group supporting her with her sneeze which gave the group its name, then the girls sing Kagayaite thus ending their first two songs. Behind the scenes Kotaro encourages the girls with a speech, but is interrupted by themselves knowing what exactly he was going to say, Kotaro falls into tears seeing the evolution of the group in these two years while the girls go to do the Bis to the public, however Kotaro was pretending and hiding a bloodstain that he sneezed while crouching down.
Back on stage, Franchouchou sings Oikaze Travelers as post-concert scenes are seen rebuilding Saga and the old mansion where they were staying, the concert ends with Sakura crying in front of the stage for finally having fulfilled her dream of 10 years ago.
The post-credits scene shows a giant UFO flying over Saga and destroying a city with its laser beam.
- Kotaro Tatsumi
- Machiko (non-speaking cameo)
- Arata Ookoba
- Jofuku (non-speaking cameo)
- Maimai Yuzuriha
- Policeman A
- Dorami Dance Team (cameo)
- Maria Amabuki
- Sayama (non-speaking cameo)
- Migikawa (non-speaking cameo)
- Reiko Amabuki (non-speaking cameo)
- Korosuke Biker Gang (non-speaking cameo)
- Skull and Bull
- Lily’s parents
- Drive-in Tori staff (non-speaking cameo)
- White Ryu (cameo)
- Kiichi Momozaki (indirectly mentioned)
- Light Oozora (non-speaking cameo)
- Manager Ishimura (non-speaking cameo)
- Iron Frill (non-speaking cameo)
- Saga Governor
- Saga Prefecture
- Mainichi Newspaper Office
- The episode was aired with no commercial breaks during its premiere date.
- This episode takes place on March 1st, 2020 to March 8th, 2020.
- Shiori’s last name is revealed to be Baba.
- This is the first time Kotaro is shown crying onscreen.
- Tae's rally to the public is a reference to Freddy Mercury's rally on Queen's concert in the 1985 Live Aid.
- The Saga people coming to Franchouchou's concert makes several references to the "Portals" scene in the 2019 movie, Avengers: Endgame.
- Coco's landing is similar to Pepper's appearance in the Rescue Armor.
- Maimai's "One, two, chouchou!" rally with her classmates and Saga's people behind her is similar to Black Panther's "Yibambe" rally with the Wakandans.
- The ending is reminiscent of the film Independence Day.
- The episode aired on June 24, the same date as World UFO Day.
- This episode continues immediately where the previous episode has left off.
- This is the second episode to showcase blood. In this episode’s case, it was during the scene where Kotaro starts coughing up blood.
- Saki’s hobby of collecting Tamagotchi pets is recalled during their bathing scene. Specifically when she says she could “combine an Oyajitchi and Memetchi to make a Memeoyajitchi”.
- Saki recalls their failed performance a year prior at Ekimae Real Estate Stadium.
- This is the second episode to not feature the opening theme of the second season.
- This is the second episode to have the girls sing “REVENGE”.
- Saki recalls Kotaro’s impression of a mudskipper in heat from “Episode 17”.
- Kotaro yells out his signature catchphrase, “Go, go, go, go, go!” to the girls before their encore.
- Yugiri indirectly mentions Kiichi Momozaki during her conversation with Lily, specifically regarding how she thinks he must be looking after them for doing their best to try and save Saga.